Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Kansas Style


Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, I think it has something to do with the pie. Anyway this year we were able to spend our third thanksgiving together in Kansas, Adam's home state, with his family. I was able to participate in some of his family traditions, and had my eyes opened to what my saint of a mother-in-law must have put up with on a regular basis with all 6 of her kids running around the house.

Growing up with all girls in my family guns and football were never a part of our Thanksgiving day traditions. Instead of shooting or playing pig skin after we were done eating we typically had a photo shoot or put on a puppet show for the family. Let's just say it was a new experience; I shot an AK-47 for crying out loud.

We started the morning off by heading out to the woods to go shooting. There was a wide variety of guns, and the only difference I could tell between them was how scared I got when handling them. The bigger the scarier. I think I scared everyone when after I shot my first shot I jumped up and down squealing. I was nervous but no one was injured so I figure it was a success even little Joshua got in a few shots on the 22 (that's what its called, right Adam?). Then we had a fantastic dinner filled with turkey, stuffing and all the regular trimmings. Yummmmm. After dinner we all gathered in the front yard for some football. I lasted about 15 minutes and decided my time would be better spent taking pictures or cooking something. I've never been the best at hand eye coordination and I knew I was only bringing the team down. Also that squeal from earlier (remember shooting practice) may or may not have made a second appearance when I was hit (didn't catch) the football. I was an embarrassment. After our football game we headed inside to finish off the day with some delicious pies made by me and my sister-in-law Christie.

We had a fantastic day filled with lots of laughing and even more food. I am thankful for Thanksgiving and for the amazing family that I had to spend it with.
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!

No comments:

Post a Comment