Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Jambalaya


I had no desire to make jambalaya. None at all. However two people I love really wanted me to give it a shot. My husband and step dad have been begging me to make it for weeks. So I finally decided that my excuses had run out and I made it tonight. After my first bite I felt pretty silly for putting it off for this long. It was so super good. Slightly spicy, full of flavor and texture. I loved it, and so did my family! Served along side cornbread it was an awesome meal! 

Jambalaya 

Ingredients:

1 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium bell pepper (red or green), chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp Creole or Cajun seasoning (use a light hand with this if you don’t want it overly spicy)
1 can (10-ounces) Rotel diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 c. chicken broth
2 cups hot, steamed rice


*Just a tip start cooking rice before you start the Jambalaya so that it's done when you've finished.

Begin by chopping all veggies and meat preparing it to cook. Add sausage and chicken to a large stock pot and allow to cook through, the sausage should get sort of brown and crisp looking on the edges. Once the meat is cooked remove from the pot and place on a plate, set aside. If there's a lot of grease left in the pot drain it. In the same pot melt butter and add 2 Tbsp flour, allow to cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add vegetables, seasonings and spices, sugar, and tomatoes. Allow mixture to simmer over low heat for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the meat back to the pot and allow to cook 10 more minutes. Last add the chicken broth and cook 5 minutes more, until thick and bubbly. Stir in the hot steamed rice.

 Serve in a giant heap and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment