Monday, June 10, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I attempted to make strawberry rhubarb pie 3 times, I was successful just once. Each time I failed because I was missing one of the key ingredients.  Rhubarb. The first time I attempted to make my husbands favorite treat was in early April, granted a little premature for rhubarb, but I was hopeful. I called every grocery store within 20 miles of me crossing my fingers that I would find some rhubarb. Unfortunately there was none. None! It was too early in the season. I tried a couple more times and it was still a tad too early. Then there were vacations, and life just got in the way. So finally one weekday night last week I did it! I made strawberry rhubarb pie, and Adam was in heaven. I had one ball of pie dough in my freezer and didn't want to make more for a top crust, so I decided to make a crumble topping. And boy am I glad I did. It's like crisp meets pie and everything is right in the world. Bitter rhubarb becomes surprisingly sweet when mixed with fresh strawberries, and sugar. Everything gets freshened up with a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of cinnamon. You're going to love this. Don't fear the rhubarb. Embrace it. Top this tasty pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and you'll wonder why you didn't make this months ago.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie 

Ingredients: 
1 recipe double-crust pie dough of your choice (you can half it, or freeze half and do a crumble top or do a double crust pie, whichever you prefer)
3 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
3 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca

Crumble topping:
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar 
1/2 cup butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a well-floured counter, roll half of pie dough into a 12-inch circle and carefully transfer to a 9-inch pie plate.
Stir together rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, lemon, cinnamon salt and tapioca in a large bowl. For the crumble mix in a separate bowl the flour and sugar cut in butter with pastry blender or fingers, until mixture is course and generally pea sized, being careful not to overwork. Mound strawberry filling inside bottom pie crust. Sprinkle with crumble topping.  
Place pie on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until the pie is golden and the juices bubble visibly.
Transfer pie to wire rack to cool. Serve when full cool (several hours later) and the juices are gelled.
Top with ice cream or fresh whipped cream.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment