Friday, December 20, 2013

Culinary School Weeks 32 - 45

Well the lack of weekly posts throughout these last few months should speak for itself. This semester of school has been the most rewarding and education thus far. I have grown so much. Since that first week I have learned hundreds of methods, and techniques and shortcuts. I know the difference between a Chuck roast and a Round roast. I can break down a chicken in under 5 minutes. I can tourne a potato. I can make a killer Bearnaise sauce. I could whip out pastry cream in my sleep. All of these acquired skills are so special and important to me, but I think what I'm most proud of as my last semester of Culinary School comes to an end is the confidence I'll walk away with. I know there's still so much learning and growing to be done, but as of right now I feel like I could go work in any kitchen, anywhere and be proficient. And that feels pretty cool.

This semester pushed me beyond my comfort zone. There were days that I felt like I could not look at another lamb chop again. But it all paid off when I was nominated to be UVU's student chef of the year. 

(This was my competition Plate) 

I'm also happy to say that I gained NO weight this semester! No help from Plugra or This day in class: 


Also I can decorate cakes! I need sooooo much more practice so let me know the next time you need a birthday cake! 




At the very beginning of this journey I said I wasn't sure which direction I wanted to take this, and frankly I'm still not 100% sure. But I do know that baking make me happy, and that for now that's what I'm going to pursue. The beautiful thing about this industry is that I can change my mind anytime I want. And that
as long as there are hungry tummy's (and sweet tooth's) out there I'll have a job.

My last semester of lab classes are now over, and starting the second week of January I'll start my final semester of culinary school as an intern at Les Madeleine's a French Bakery in Salt Lake. After 7 weeks there, (...drum roll please...) I will leave for Paris where I'll work 8 more weeks in a real live Parisian Patisserie. I feel so lucky to have these incredible opportunities and love that I LOVE what I'm doing.

1 comment: