Thursday, December 29, 2011

Food Adventure: Illinois

Because we are traveling via i-70 and Chicago is several hours off of our interstate of choice we were not able to go to Chicago to taste Chicago-style pizza. However, just off of i-70 is a little town called Champaign, home of the University of Illinois. And lucky for us those students love them some Chicago-style pizza. Papa Del's reminds me a lot of a university pizza place that I frequent often in Salt Lake City. It's called The Pie and it's great. But, (I have some friends who might kill me when they read this) Papa Del's pizza sorta blew the pies out of the water. There I said it. This pizza was hands down the most delicious concoction of pizza ingredients I have ever encountered in my life. The crust was 2 inches thick and so soft warm and doughy on the inside. There were layers of melted mozzarella cheese topped with an insane pizza sauce. We chose sausage, green peppers and mushrooms as toppings, but honestly they could have put dirty socks on top and I still would have loved it. That pizza was NUTS. I am salivating as I type and am kicking myself for not ordering a pizza to go. Thank you for the nearly religious pizza experience Papa Dels!





On our "yumm scale" we rated Papa Del's Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza as a Holymolycanoliyumm!
For your reference the "Yumm Scale" :
1. Yuck
2. Yu...
3. Yumm
4. Super Yumm
5. Holymolycanoliyumm!

3 comments:

  1. LOVING THESE and i totally believe that their pizza was better than The Pie's. BECAUSE: the pizza is crap at the pie. it's the CHEESY PULL APARTS that rock our worlds.

    so tell me you're going to open a Papa Del's in utah, right? Best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. k that looks like freakin lasagna or something. you'll have to stop on your way back home and bring me some...?

    ReplyDelete