Friday, September 14, 2012

Culinary School: Week 3

Classes are getting better and better, I am beginning to feel comfortable with my classmates and with my instructor. This week in my Pastry and Baking Class we finally did some baking! We shaped rolls! And I learned I have a very, very long way to go before I'm a master roll shaper. I even had a scale to measure how many ounces each piece of dough was and I still couldn't get them the same size. I guess that means I need to practice (hey-o who wants some to come over and eat rolls this weekend?). In my Cooking Skills class we continued to work on the mother sauces. We made a Beurre Blanc, Hollandaise, and a Bechamele. The Beurre Blanc is basically just butter, white wine and shallots, It was probably my favorite. So much butter. And so good. We also continued working on our knife skills and I am becoming a pro at breaking down whole chicken. It's pretty awesome. But of all of the things I learned in classes this week the thing I am most proud of, most excited about, is my poached egg. I did it. I poached an egg. And it was beautiful. And delicious. And perfect. I realized I had never even tried to poach an egg before my attempt on Wednesday. I think because I was scared. I have this problem you see, I'm afraid to try things I know I might be bad at, or might not work out. Even if I know that all it takes is a bit of practice and some time, I still have a hard time trying things if I feel like there's a chance of it not working. Hence, the reason I had never poached an egg. After some thinking, I asked myself this question: How will I ever get better if I'm not willing to try new things, always, but especially while I'm in school? Isn't that the point? I answered with a resolute yes. This is the time to get out of my comfort zone and try things that are scary, even if I try and fail, and try and fail, and try and succeed. That's the point. Poach an egg...check!

1 comment:

  1. I don't like eggs but that is so beautiful that it's making me drool a little bit.

    ReplyDelete