Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Pie

When I was a kid strawberry pie was my favorite. In the warmer months my grandma would make it and I would be sure to eat it the only way I knew how equal parts pie and whipped cream. 1:1, pie to cream ratio is the only way to go. Truth be told not much has changed today. In fact recently when I made this pie I made little 4'' mini pies and for the sake of cuteness I piped on a little dollop of whipped cream in the center of each pie. But you better believe when it was eating time I sat with my pie AND piping bag, piping individual dollops of cream on each bite. It felt right and I'm not ashamed. This strawberry pie sets up beautifully, it's not runny and yet it's not gel like either. It's the perfect consistency. Big strawberry chunks create a great texture and an even better flavor. You'll love this pie, pick up some fresh strawberries and try it out! 



Fresh Strawberry Pie 
Ingredients: 
9'' blind baked pie crust or four 4'' mini pie crusts
6 cups strawberries, hulled and cut in half
1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup water
3 ounces cream cheese, softened

Sweetened Whipped Cream 
Ingredients:
1 cup whipping cream
2 Tablespoon powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Mash enough strawberries to measure one cup. Mix sugar and corn starch in a saucepan. Gradually stir in water and mashed berries. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture begins to thicken. Allow mixture to come to a boil, boil and stir for one minute. Cool mixture while you spread softened cream cheese on the bottom and sides of pie crust. This will keep the crust from getting soggy. Fill the shell with remaining strawberries, then pour cooked strawberry mixture over the top of fresh berries. Refrigerate pie until set, at least 3 hours. Enjoy with sweetened whipped cream.

* For the mini pies the process is the same, as for a 9'' pie, berries may need to be cut in fourths as opposed to just in half. And cooling/set up time could be a bit less as well.

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! I love strawberry pie! You should make that when we're all in Idaho. :)

    ReplyDelete