Friday, November 2, 2012

Culinary School: Week 10

Into the double digits - week ten!! This week school was good/frustrating. In baking it was pie week. We made apple, pumpkin, pecan, chocolate creme, and cherry. I was really looking forward to pie week, but it turned out to be sort of lame. I though I would breeze through it with no issues but for whatever reason my pie dough was just not good. It kept cracking and was crumbly and falling apart I had to re roll it 5 times for one pie because it just wouldn't stay together. Re rolling is not good because it makes the crust tough and not very flaky. All of my pies turned out mediocre at best. They were ugly and the crust was terrible. Ugh it was a mess. I felt defeated on Tuesday after I left class, with the resolution that I would never make a pie again. In cooking skills we had potato week. The chef wrote down recipe names on little strips of paper and put them into a pot we all drew out one recipe and then had to make it. I drew Anna potatoes, it's a version of scalloped potatoes but no cream or butter is used it's just potatoes, butter and salt and pepper, layered into a round frying pan, browned on the stove and then baked in the oven. They were good, but not as good as some of the other students, one boy made real scalloped potatoes with smoked Gouda. They were like a dream. I'm just not sure it gets better than potatoes, bacon and smoked Gouda. Seriously though, does it?
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment